“Never forget what Jesus did for you. Never take lightly what it cost Him. And never assume that if it cost Him His very life, that it won't also cost you yours.”
~Rich Mullins

Jul 30, 2012

An Arizona Storm

We finally got a storm!! A real storm!! With rain and thunder and lightening and the rest of those amazing things that we hardly ever see here!

But, preceding all the fun things, comes the dust. Depending on where you're from, you may not understand this, but out here in the good ole Southwest, storms often consist merely of dust.

The upside is that a huge wall of dust moving toward you looks very neat, indeed! So, I packed up my camera and floored it out to the mountain range near our house, hoping to get up high enough fast enough to get some pictures before the storm got me.

I made it up there just in time. (Some of these are slightly out of focus due to shooting out of the window of my moving truck)


I jumped out of the truck and took this picture. You can see the haze starting on the right side...and that streak across the road? The first wisp of dust coming.

I was engulfed very, very quickly. Can you see the faint outline of the mountains?

The road in front of me on the way out. It was actually really neat up there. It was somewhat spooky feeling, and quite the testimony to God's power!

 This is a picture I took from the side of the road up the mountain a couple weeks ago. You can see the city in the distance and you can also see the Estrella Mountains in the distance.

This was from the same spot last night. See the cactus on the right? Same spot! Just covered in dust!



This is my mom's stallion, Design!! One of my new favorite pictures. This boy has attitude!!!!


"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to Peter Carr, 1785



6 comments:

  1. Wow...those are neat pictures. I had forgotten about the dust...but the pictures brought it back :)

    Just an interesting note--thunder doesn't roll out west the same way it does back east. It was strange for a Southern girl not to hear the thunder roll on and on and on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a storm last night too but it was nothing like that. We only got wind, rain and thunder and lighting. Awesome pictures!
    God bless,
    Rebekah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait, were YOU the one driving, WHILE you taking pictures?!?!

    Don't you just love monsoon season!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, girls!!

    Jordanna...no :) I'm not that scary of a driver :D My mom and I did a cute little Chinese fire drill in the middle of the road because I wanted to start snapping and stop driving.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL! Sorry, these pictures just reminded me of Veggie Tales "Little Joe". I'm sorry, a laugh is not the reaction you were looking for. {*ahem* composes self}
    Wow! These are really great, Lis! (and I really do mean that:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoa! That first picture looks like something out of Hildogo!

    ReplyDelete