“Never forget what Jesus did for you. Never take lightly what it cost Him. And never assume that if it cost Him His very life, that it won't also cost you yours.”
~Rich Mullins

Jun 12, 2012

Smuggling theology


"Any amount of theology can now be smuggled into people's minds under the cover of fiction without their knowing it." C. S. Lewis

A writer can really use this to their advantage. And as readers, we need to be careful of this. People are so eager to be entertained that they will often easily read a theological book if it's hidden under the guise of fiction. They will do that much more easily than they will pick up a 5 inch thick, 20 lb, scary looking "book of theology."

(BTW, I did a new photo shoot yesterday!!! Check out the rest of the pictures on my photography blog at A True Focus. This is one of my favorite shoots so far!)








9 comments:

  1. Gorgeous photos! And good thoughts, too. I'm getting a real taste of the area you live in through your beautiful photos. Loving the scenery here! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thoughts Lisa...I love how C.S. Lewis phrased this...smuggled. One of Jacob's clients that he mows for just taught at the same place where C.S. Lewis and Tolkien. He was so excited about being there and the history of where he was teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oops....forgot to finish the thought.....where these authors gathered together to do their writing. That should help :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That really is an interesting way to phrase it, and very accurate. That's what makes television so powerful, and potentially dangerous. When we want to be 'entertained' we often shut off our blasphemy filters, and it all can just seep right in, without our knowing it.
    Great photos! I like the last one where you're still the focus of the picture, and yet blurry. Kind of makes it dreamy.
    ~Paul

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great quote, and so true! Love the pictures. Jessie looks a lot like you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. BushMaid - I don't think it's actually as pretty as the pictures make it look :) There is lots of dirt, heat, and some cactus. LOL

    Mrs G - that is SO COOL! A friend of my Grandma's is getting to travel to all the places where CS Lewis lived and studied and taught...very neat. I love him and Tolkien!!

    Paul - you're so right. Television and music tend to go right past our rational thinking side and go straight to our emotions. Dangerous.

    Sadie - everyone says we look alike :) I don't see it except for sometimes in pictures. Funny!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great pictures (as always :) and what a good and thought provoking quote!! It's so true - what an important thing to guard against being led astray by!

    People say Sabrina and I look alike too, which we did in baby pictures, but I can't see it at all anymore!!

    It's been fun to see pictures of AZ scenery - it reminds me of when we lived there. Oh! I wish we lived closer!!!! I'm thankful for technology and letters though. :)

    Love you!!

    Savannah

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can see you and Sabrina looking a little alike :) Fun stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a beautiful dog!
    God bless,
    Rebekah

    ReplyDelete